Next spring, Disney will bring a new heroine to the big screen with Raya and the Last Dragon, an epic story inspired by Southeast Asian cultures. Today, Disney gave fans a lengthy first look at the film with their official teaser trailer.
- Following yesterday’s release of the poster, earlier today on Good Morning America Walt Disney Studios debuted the teaser trailer for their upcoming animated film Raya and the Last Dragon.
- The 2-minute clip introduces audiences to a brave and clever fighter named Raya (pronounced Rye-ah) and her rolling sidekick Tuk Tuk.
- Since she was young, Raya has been training to be a guardian of the Dragon Gem, but her world has changed and left it’s people divided.
- In order to save her homeland of Kumandra, Raya and a now full size Tuk Tuk set out in search of the last Dragon, Sisu. Take a look:
- In August, we learned that the lead character, Raya, will be voiced by Star Wars actress Kelly Marie Tran.
- The character was previously voiced by Cassie Steele.
- Don Hall, Carlos López Estrada, Paul Briggs and John Ripa will direct the new film.
- Walt Disney Animation Studios has established a story trust of Southeast Asia cultural ambassadors who the filmmakers met on research trips to Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, and the Philippines.
- Co-Director Don Hall is quoted as saying the film is “the most beautiful animated film I've ever seen.”
- Production on the film has continued from remote locations, a first for Walt Disney Animation Studios, and as of August, 50% of the animation work was already completed.
- Raya and the Last Dragon is scheduled for release on March 12th, 2021.