Varsity Spirit has announced they’ve reached a multiyear agreement with ESPN to continue televising cheerleading and dance competitions. Additionally, the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex will play host to several of the company’s annual events.
- Varsity Spirit, a division of Varsity Brands announced that they have reached a multiyear extension with ESPN to televise cheerleading and dance team championships through 2025.
- Varsity Spirit cheerleading and dance team championships have been featured on ESPN since 1983 and is one of ESPN's longest-running collaborators.
- Under the terms of the extension, ESPN will televise 10 hours of programming each year on its networks from Varsity Spirit's prestigious events at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney World Resort including:
- UCA & UDA College Cheerleading & Dance Team National Championship
- UCA National High School Cheerleading Championship (NHSCC)
- UDA National Dance Team Championship (NDTC)
- With the news of Varsity Spirit and ESPN's extended relationship, Varsity Spirit looks forward to celebrating 40 years on ESPN in 2023.
- Since 1995 Varsity Spirit has welcomed millions of athletes and coaches to Walt Disney World Resort.
- The AdventHealth Arena at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex is an 8,000-seat multi-purpose sports and entertainment arena and the first facility in the world designed specifically for cheer and dance competitions.
- Varsity Spirit recently announced that due to COVID-19 safety concerns, its 2021 national championships held at Walt Disney World Resort have been rescheduled to April.
What They’re Saying:
- Bill Seely, President of Varsity Spirit: "For the past 38 years we've been proud to work with ESPN. We are thrilled to continue that relationship so that, together, we can continue highlighting the talents and athleticism of cheerleading and dance teams across the nation. These teams work year-round to support their school's sports teams, and showcasing them on ESPN is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for them to be recognized and rewarded for their passion and commitment."
- Nick Dawson, Vice President of Programming and Acquisitions: "We've enjoyed working with Varsity since the early days of ESPN. We look forward to continuing that relationship for years to come and providing a platform for the amazing dance and cheer athletes competing for championships."