- In the brand-new clip from Secrets of the Whales, we get to see a sperm whale calf nursing from its mother, a moment that has only just been recorded for the first time.
- The four-part series coming to Disney+ will feature even more never-before-seen footage including:
- Evidence suggesting that Belugas give themselves names so groups can keep track of each other.
- Baby belugas sharing their moms’ call signs.
- 30,000 Humpbacks charging down the coast of Australia towards Antarctica and using breeches to talk to each other.
- The first cross-species adoption ever recorded — Beluga pod adopts narwhal as part of the pod.
- A digital soundtrack for the series will be released on April 19 with score composed, produced and mixed by Raphaelle Thibaut.
- The three-year project is also featured in the new National Geographic book, Secrets of the Whales, which is on sale now, and the May issue of National Geographic magazine, The Ocean Issue available April 15.
About Secrets of the Whales:
- “Featuring the expansive knowledge and skill of acclaimed National Geographic Explorer and Photographer Brian Skerry, the series ventures deep into the world of whales to witness the extraordinary communication skills and intricate social structures to reveal life and love from their perspective. Secrets of the Whales unveils new science and technology to spotlight whales as they make lifelong friendships, teach clan heritage and traditions to their young, and grieve deeply for the loss of loved ones. Filmed over three years in 24 global locations, throughout this epic journey, we learn that whales are far more complex and more like us than ever imagined. This is a personal story that very few are lucky enough to witness … until now.”
- The series is executive produced by filmmaker and conservationist James Cameron (Avatar) and narrated by actress and conservationist Sigourney Weaver (Alien, Avatar).
All four episodes of Secrets of the Whales will release on Earth Day, Thursday, April 22, 2021, exclusively on Disney+.