With 2021 marking the 80th anniversary of Captain America, Marvel Comics is getting ready to celebrate his legacy with former shield bearers and introduce new heroes as well. Among those taking up the mantle this year is Joe Gomez, Captain America of the Kickapoo Tribe.
- As Marvel Comics celebrates 80 years of Captain America, they’re debuting a new series: The United States Of Captain America written by Christopher Cantwell with art by Dale Eaglesham.
- The series will see the ultimate Captain America team-up—bringing together Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson, Bucky Barnes, and John Walker—but along the way it will introduce new shield-bearers that have been inspired by the star-spangled Avenger.
- Created by a diverse lineup of all-star talent, these new Marvel heroes come from all walks of life.
- Each character will have their own thrilling origins, heartfelt motivations, and bright futures explored by their creators in special backup tales each issue.
- Marvel already teased Aaron Fischer and Nichelle Wright and now fans can check out the third new “captain” that Steve Rogers will find in this can’t-miss series: Joe Gomez, the Captain America of the Kickapoo Tribe.
- Created by geoscientist and Lipan Apache writer Darcie Little Badger and Qalipu Mi’kmaq First Nation artist David Cutler, Joe Gomez will debut this August in The United States Of Captain America #3.
What They’re Saying:
- Darcie Little Badger: “Something I love about Joe is his day job. It represents everything he stands for as a hero. See, Joe Gomez is a construction worker, a builder in a world plagued by destruction. Every time a spaceship crashes into a bridge or a supervillain transforms a whole city block into rubble, people like Joe make things whole again. Work like that may seem thankless, but Joe genuinely enjoys helping his community survive and thrive. That's why he won't charge elders for home repair services (the Joe Gomez senior discount is 100%). That's also why he's willing to risk his life to save others. I know lots of people like Joe–many of them my Indigenous relatives–so it was wonderful to help develop a character with his values, strength, and extreme crane-operating skills.”
- David Cutler: “I can't really express the pride I feel being a part of the team that gets to introduce Joe to the world. The Marvel Universe is the biggest stage there is, and bringing a new First Nations hero to that venue means more than I can say.”
About The United States Of Captain America:
- “The saga begins when Captain America’s original shield is stolen. And when the mysterious shield thief targets a cultural landmark in Kansas, hoping to put a permanent stain on Captain America’s image, Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson are hot on his trail when they meet the Kickapoo Tribe’s own Captain America. But there’s more to the thief’s agenda than meets the eye and the three Caps may be headed straight into a trap!”
United States Of Captain America #3 (Of 5)
- Written By Christopher Cantwell & Darcie Little Badger
- Art By Dale Eaglesham & David Cutler
- Cover By Gerald Parel
- Design Variant Cover By David Cutler