During The Walt Disney Company’s 2nd Quarter Earnings Call, Disney announced that two films will have a 45-day theatrical exclusive release window, including Marvel Studios Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.
- The Walt Disney Company held a 2nd Quarter Earnings Call on May 13th.
- Speaking on the future of theatrical movie releases, the company announced that two upcoming films will be released to theaters only for a 45-day window before they become available for in-home viewing.
- The two films will be Free Guy from 20th Century Studios on August 13th and Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings from Marvel Studios on September 3rd.
- Historically, the window between a theatrical release and in-home release was 90-days.
- This news came just a few hours after Disney announced that Jungle Cruise will be available through Disney+ Premier Access on July 30th, the same day it comes to theaters.
- Under Disney’s new content-creation strategies, films will continue to be made to be released directly to Disney+, first-run in theaters, and a combination of simultaneous and theatrical releases.