Sony’s upcoming Marvel film based on Spider-Man villain Kraven The Hunter has reportedly found its star in Aaron Taylor-Johnson, according to Deadline.
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson has reportedly been cast as the titular Spider-Man Villain in his own standalone feature in Sony’s new Marvel Film, Kraven the Hunter.
- In the Marvel realm, Kraven was a maniacal big game hunter who sought to defeat Spider-Man to prove that he was the greatest hunter in the world. Unlike other hunters, he typically disdained the use of guns or bow and arrows preferring to take down large dangerous animals with his bare hands even though he often made elaborate preparations to weaken a quarry beforehand. He also used a mystical serum to give him similar strength to Spider-Man, but even without the serum he was a threat to the wall-crawler. However, Kraven's continual underestimation of the superhero's resourcefulness made him a frustrating quarry.
- After numerous battles in which Kraven was bested by the Wall Crawler, he finally defeated Spider-Man by shooting him and burying him for what would be his last hunt. He then donned Spider-Man's black costume and set out to prove that he was a greater Spider-Man than Spidey himself. He hunted down and defeated the creature known as Vermin who previously was only able to be defeated after Spider-Man enlisted the help of Captain America.
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson first made his superhero debut in the role of Kick-Ass, before entering the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Quicksilver, AKA Pietro Maximoff, twin brother to Wanda Maximoff who didn’t see an Avengers film beyond Avengers: Age of Ultron.
- J.C. Chandor had previously been revealed to be the director behind the film, a property that Sony had long wanted to produce with a script written by Richard Wenk. The film is currently set to debut on January 13, 2023.