The Walt Disney Company announced today that Marvel Studios’ Black Widow debuted to an estimated total of more than $215M globally this weekend, including $80M in domestic box office, $78M in international box office, and over $60M in Disney+ Premier Access consumer spend globally.
- The film garnered several notable achievements in its opening weekend, including:
- Black Widow is the largest domestic box office opening since the COVID-19 pandemic began and the largest domestic opening weekend since Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker in December 2019.
- The combined theatrical and Disney+ Premier Access opening makes Black Widow the only film to surpass $100M in domestic consumer spend on opening weekend since the start of the pandemic.
- It is the highest domestic opening weekend for a Marvel Cinematic Universe origin story after Black Panther and Captain Marvel.
- Marvel Studios continues its creative excellence across multiple parts of the Disney ecosystem.
- Black Widow follows the successful recent launches of the Disney+ original MCU series WandaVision, The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, and Loki as well as the June 4th opening of Avengers Campus, the all-new land at Disney California Adventure Park.
- To date, Marvel fans have streamed nearly 3 billion hours of content on Disney+.
What they’re saying:
- Kareem Daniel, Chairman, Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution: “Once again, Marvel has delivered an exceptional film to the delight of fans worldwide with Black Widow achieving numerous milestones in the current marketplace. Black Widow’s strong performance this weekend affirms our flexible distribution strategy of making franchise films available in theaters for a true cinematic experience and, as COVID concerns continue globally, providing choice to consumers who prefer to watch at home on Disney+.”
- Alan Bergman, Chairman, Disney Studios Content: “It’s incredible to see audiences enjoying Black Widow after two years without a new Marvel Studios film, and this spectacular opening weekend shows just how eager fans have been to see this beloved Avenger in her own story. There’s no question it’s been worth the wait – Cate Shortland, Scarlett Johansson, and the Marvel Studios team have delivered an exceptional film that continues a legacy of creative excellence as the Marvel Cinematic Universe expands and enters a new era.”
About Black Widow:
- “Natasha Romanoff aka Black Widow confronts the darker parts of her ledger when a dangerous conspiracy with ties to her past arises. Pursued by a force that will stop at nothing to bring her down, Natasha must deal with her history as a spy and the broken relationships left in her wake long before she became an Avenger.”
- Scarlett Johansson reprises her role as Natasha/Black Widow, Florence Pugh stars as Yelena, David Harbour portrays Alexei/The Red Guardian, and Rachel Weisz is Melina.
- The feature film is directed by Cate Shortland and produced by Kevin Feige.
- You can check out Ben’s review of Marvel’s Black Widow here.
- Scarlett Johansson as Natasha/Black Widow
- Florence Pugh as Yelena
- David Harbour as Alexei/The Red Guardian
- Rachel Weisz as Melina