- Taika Waititi made a surprise appearance last night during the Free Guy Opening Night Fan Event at El Capitan Theatre.
- Waititi, who plays the villain in the movie, appeared on stage to introduce the film during the event to the surprise of fans.
- If you want to learn more about Free Guy, check out Mike’s review of the movie here.
About Free Guy:
- “In Free Guy, a bank teller who discovers he is actually a background player in an open-world video game, decides to become the hero of his own story…one he rewrites himself. Now in a world where there are no limits, he is determined to be the guy who saves his world his way…before it is too late.”
About El Capitan Theatre:
- In the 1920s, Charles Toberman and Sid Grauman built the Egyptian, Chinese, and El Capitan theatres. The El Capitan originally staged musicals and plays before being converted for film for the world premiere of Orson Welles’ Citizen Kane.
- In 1989, the Walt Disney Company teamed up with Pacific Theatres to launch a two-year restoration of The El Capitan Theatre led by theatre designer Joseph J. Musil, recreating the original 1926 look and feel.
- Since 1991, The El Capitan Theatre has been used as an exclusive first-run theatre for The Walt Disney Studios. It has also hosted live stage shows, world premieres, special events, and screenings of classic Disney films.
- The El Capitan Theatre has been declared a Historic Cultural Monument by the City of Los Angeles.
Free Guy is now playing in theaters.