Fandango, the nation’s leading movie ticketing service, asked more than 6,000 of its ticket-buyers in December about the top movies they want to see on the big screen next year. The top five most anticipated blockbusters for 2022 are Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, The Batman, Thor: Love and Thunder, and Jurassic World: Dominion.
- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever earned the top spot on the ‘most anticipated blockbusters’ list, while Sony’s Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse followed up at number two.
- Thor: Love and Thunder came in at four and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness grabbed the sixth spot.
- Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse also grabbed the top spot for ‘most anticipated animated/family movies’ while Pixar’s Lightyear followed up in second.
- The long-awaited Avatar sequel came in second for the ‘most anticipated action/adventure (non-superhero) films.’
- As for the ‘most anticipated returning performances,’ Chris Hemsworth as Thor topped the list, while Natalie Portman as Jane Foster in the same film was third.
- Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange and Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff came in at two and five respectively on that list as they will return in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.
- The final spot on that list belongs to Zoe Saldana, who will return as Neytiri in Avatar 2.
- As for the ‘most anticipated new performances,’ Christian Bale as the villainous Gorr the God Butcher in Thor: Love and Thunder took the third spot, while Issa Rae as Jessica Drew in Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse came in at fourth.
- Additionally, Fandango asked ticket-buyers about their recent experiences at the movie theater and their anticipated moviegoing habits in the new year, with the following results:
- 94% want to go to the theater more often in 2022 than they did in 2021
- 89% were gratified to see new movie releases on the big screen this year.
- 88% are excited by the 2022 line-up of theatrical releases.
- 86% picked Action/Adventure as one of their favorite genres.
- 80% hope to see five or more movies on the big screen in 2022.
- 70% plan to see movies on premium large-format screens whenever possible.
What they’re saying:
- Fandango Managing Editor Erik Davis: “Audiences are looking for unforgettable experiences at the theater and 2022 promises to deliver a bounty of exciting new movies that you must see on the big screen. From some of the biggest returning characters like Spider-Man, Batman, Catwoman, and Doctor Strange, to memorable franchises like Black Panther, Top Gun, Mission: Impossible and Jurassic World, the new year is packed with thrills, chills and adventure around every corner.”