The Little Mermaid, the highly-anticipated live-action adaptation of the Walt Disney Animation Studios classic of the same name, is already in previews and has begun raking in the clams, so to speak.
- Variety is reporting that the new live-action adaptation from Disney, The Little Mermaid, has already taken in $10.3 million in preview box office alone.
- The total is for previews at select theaters, The Little Mermaid will arrive in 4,320 theaters today.
- The preview total is reportedly the seventh-highest ever for a G or PG rated film, which also picked up $850,000 from early access screenings on Wednesday.
- The highly-anticipated film is projected to open with $100 million, but given that the opening occurs over a holiday weekend (Memorial Day), the total could potentially land even higher, with some reports expecting $120-$125 million.
- How does this compare to other live-action Disney adaptations? In 2019, the last theatrical live-action adaptation debuted with The Lion King. The film took in $23 million in previews leading up to a $191 million opening weekend, eventually grossing more than a billion dollars globally.
- Before that, Aladdin debuted with $7 million in previews taking in $117 million over its opening, which also occurred on Memorial Day weekend in 2019.
- Mulan didn’t fare so well, opening at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, landing on Disney+ as part of the premier access program and in theaters where available – which was limited at that time. Other titles skipped box offices entirely, landing directly on Disney+ – namely Pinocchio, Lady and the Tramp, and Peter Pan & Wendy.
- All eyes are on The Little Mermaid in the hopes that Disney fans will return to theaters everywhere, and the company is banking on that prospect with the film’s budget landing around $250 million.
- The Little Mermaid will debut this weekend, taking on Fast X, which has already been in theaters for a week and is expected to lose its #1 spot.
- The Little Mermaid is the beloved story of Ariel, a beautiful and spirited young mermaid with a thirst for adventure. The youngest of King Triton’s daughters and the most defiant, Ariel longs to find out more about the world beyond the sea and, while visiting the surface, falls for the dashing Prince Eric. While mermaids are forbidden to interact with humans, Ariel must follow her heart. She makes a deal with the evil sea witch, Ursula, which gives her a chance to experience life on land but ultimately places her life – and her father’s crown – in jeopardy.
- The film stars:
- Halle Bailey (grown-ish) as Ariel
- Jonah Hauer-King (A Dog’s Way Home) as Prince Eric
- Daveed Diggs (Hamilton) as the voice of Sebastian
- Awkwafina (Raya and the Last Dragon) as the voice of Scuttle
- Jacob Tremblay (Luca) as the voice of Flounder
- Noma Dumezweni (Mary Poppins Returns) as Queen Selina
- Art Malik (Homeland) as Sir Grimsby
- Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men) as King Triton
- Melissa McCarthy (Bridesmaids) as Ursula
- The Little Mermaid is directed by Oscar nominee Rob Marshall (Mary Poppins Returns) with a screenplay by two-time Oscar nominee David Magee (Finding Neverland).
- The songs feature music from multiple Academy Award winner Alan Menken (Beauty and the Beast) and lyrics by Howard Ashman, and new lyrics by three-time Tony Award winner Lin-Manuel Miranda (Encanto).
- The Little Mermaid is now playing in theaters everywhere.
Sign up for Disney+ or the Disney Streaming Bundle (Disney+, ESPN+, and ad-supported Hulu) now