It’s not an April Fool’s Day joke, though Star Wars fans may naturally find themselves wary on this infamous day. Even though the second novel in Timothy Zahn’s Thrawn Ascendancy trilogy has not yet been released, Lucasfilm Publishing and Del Rey have already announced the final entry in the exciting new storyline from one of the most admired Star Wars authors, and the best part is it’s due out this year.
Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy – Lesser Evil has been revealed for a November 16 publication date, and Lucasfilm’s official news webseries This Week in Star Wars even dropped the cover on us, with more than three weeks still left to go before its predecessor Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy – Greater Good becomes available.
Watch “This Week in Star Wars” for April 1, 2021:
- Lucasfilm Publishing and Del Rey have announced the concluding novel in author Timothy Zahn’s current Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy trilogy, entitled Lesser Evil.
- The book will follow 2020’s Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy – Chaos Rising and the second novel in the trilogy Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy – Greater Good, which is due out in just a few weeks on April 27.
- As a surprise, Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy – Lesser Evil has been revealed to also be scheduled for release this year, with a publication date of Tuesday, November 16, 2021.
What they’re saying:
- StarWars.com: “First introduced in 1991’s classic Star Wars: Heir to the Empire, Grand Admiral Thrawn has since earned his place among the greatest villains of Star Wars. Creator Timothy Zahn has dialed back the clock with his current Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy trilogy, chronicling the Imperial mastermind’s rise within the military ranks of his own homeworld… Coming November 16, Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy: Lesser Evil will end Zahn’s epic Thrawn origin tale. It finds The Chiss Ascendancy — rulers of Csilla — fractured, with Thrawn caught in the middle.”
- Official synopsis: “For thousands of years The Chiss Ascendancy has been an island of calm, a center of power, and a beacon of integrity. Led by the Nine Ruling Families, their leadership stands as a bulwark of stability against the Chaos of the Unknown Regions. But that stability has been eroded by a cunning foe that winnows away trust and loyalty in equal measure. Bonds of fidelity have given way to lines of division among the families. Despite the efforts of the Expansionary Defense Fleet, the Ascendancy slips closer and closer toward civil war. The Chiss are no strangers to war. Their mythic status in the Chaos was earned through conflict and terrible deeds, some long buried. Until now. To ensure the Ascendancy’s future, Thrawn will delve deep into its past, uncovering the dark secrets surrounding the ascension of the First Ruling Family. But the truth of a family’s legacy is only as strong as the legend that supports it. Even if that legend turns out to be a lie. To secure the salvation of the Ascendancy, is Thrawn willing to sacrifice everything? Including the only home he has ever known?”
Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy – Greater Good will be released on April 27 and Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy – Lesser Evil will be released on November 16.