The brand new atmospheric stage show, Moana: A Homecoming Celebration held it’s first performance at Hong Kong Disneyland on Friday, May 25th. Moana’s arrival at the resort is part of Hong Kong Disneyland’s multi-year expansion and was announced earlier this year.
This week, the Disney Parks Blog shared the exciting news about the brand new show’s debut.
- On May 25th, Hong Kong Disneyland debuted a new atmospheric stage show featuring Moana.
- Moana: A Homecoming Celebration is a 20-minute live show that uses inspirational visual storytelling, dancing, puppetry and music to bring to life Moana’s brave and heroic adventures.
- When Moana returns home from to her village of Motunui, she shares the thrilling story of her encounters with pirates, the Demigod Maui, and of course restoring the heart of Ti Fiti.
- Guests are invited to be a part of the show and interact with performers in a variety of ways:
- Playing drums
- Joining forces to dramatize the attack of the Kakamora pirates
- Moving like ocean waves to help guide Moana on her journey
- Cheering Maui as they encourage him to help Moana
- The cast includes Moana, six performers, and two live drummers to recreate Moana’s adventures.
- The show features 30 custom made props, speciality designed costumes, and handmade decorations that were inspired by the film and traditional Polynesian culture.
- Moana: A Homecoming Celebration is performed at the all new, Jungle Junction in Adventureland.
- Guest will also have the opportunity to meet Moana in Adventureland.
What they’re saying:
Paul Chan Mo-po, Financial Secretary, the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region: “Over the past two years, “Star Wars” and “Iron Man” have turned into resident superheroes, capturing the imagination of our Park visitors. And I have no doubt that the inspired musical theatre, and visual storytelling, of Moana, will do very much the same.”
Michael Colglazier, president and managing director, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts – Asia Pacific: “Moana: A Homecoming Celebration heralds a new era of Hong Kong Disneyland Resort as the first of many new and exciting offerings coming to the resort as part of a multi-year transformation. The new Moana entertainment experience showcases what we do best at Disney, immersing our guests in their favorite stories as only Disney can. We’re excited to see Hong Kong Disneyland Resort continue to grow and create more fun for guests, with new attractions opening through 2023.”
Samuel Lau, HKDL managing director: “This atmosphere stage show is the first at any of the Disney Parks to feature the beloved and brave heroine Moana. The addition of the all-new atmosphere stage show once again showcase HKDL’s commitment in continuously bringing some of the most popular Disney characters and stories to life through never-before-seen attractions and experiences for guests from all over the world here in Hong Kong.”
Hong Kong Disneyland multi-year expansion:
- An all-new Ant-Man and The Wasp attraction will debut next year as the park continues to expand its Marvel-themed area. The attraction joins the Iron Man Experience that opened in January 2017.
- In 2021, Hong Kong Disneyland will open an immersive Frozen-themed area where guests will be able to experience a Summer Snow Day created by Queen Elsa for the enjoyment of her entire kingdom.