Director, Ryan Coogler’s take on a comic icon brought fans to theaters to see their hero in action in this past February’s Black Panther. Now Coogler will reportedly be returning to the MCU to helm the sequel.
- According to Variety, Ryan Coogler is on board to write and direct the sequel to the massively successful superhero film Black Panther.
- Chadwick Boseman is also expected to return as the titular character along with others from the MCU franchise.
- No release date, plot points or potential storylines have been announced at this time.
- Marvel has not commented on this news.
- Variety reports that sources say production is expected to start at the end of 2019 or early 2020, depending on when the script is ready. Additionally, Coogler is planning to shoot a smaller film before the sequel.
Black Panther and the box office:
- Black Panther debuted in theaters across the country on February 16 and the took the film industry by storm. Setting a record breaking opening weekend with the highest ever opening for February, Black Panther was an instant hit with fans.
- The film grossed over $1 billion at the world wide box office and is one of the highest grossing Marvel films to date.
- In September, Disney launched an Academy Awards campaign for Black Panther asking for award consideration in over a dozen categories.