- At today’s Walt Disney Television Upfront presentation, Freeform showcased its continued commitment to provocative and bold original content that champions the force and momentum of its young adult audience.
- The network announced the renewal of and premieres of several shows including:
- Motherland: Fort Salem
- Party of Five
- Everything’s Gonna Be Okay
- The Bold Type
- Additionally, fans can look forward to an extended 31 Nights of Halloween as well as new holiday programing.
- Finally, Springfield’s favorite family will be coming to the network this fall as Freeform beings airing reruns of The Simpsons.
What they’re saying:
- Tom Ascheim, president, Freeform: “Freeform is built on one very powerful belief: that embracing the disruptive voices and diverse identities of our viewers is key to our ongoing success. We are so proud to have the opportunity to grow with our audience and are looking forward to continuing to push the boundaries of convention through our programming—this year and in years to come.”
- Siren, Freeform’s fan-favorite mermaid thriller, has been picked up for a third season.
- The second half of Season 2 will premiere on Thursday, June 13, at 8:00 pm EDT/PDT on Freeform.
Season 2 synopsis:
- “Ben and Maddie are uncertain about the mermaids’ future after the deadly consequences of the attack on the oil rig and, with the mermaids returning to sea, are left feeling lost without Ryn. Once Helen learns she’s not the only one of her kind, she discovers there is a dark side to her people’s past.”
- Eline Powell
- Alex Roe
- Fola Evans-Akingbola
- Ian Verdun
- Rena Owen
Motherland: Fort Salem
Motherland: Fort Salem synopsis:
- “Set in an alternate America where witches ended their persecution over 300 years ago by cutting a deal with the government to fight for their country, Motherland: Fort Salem follows three young women from basic training in combat magic into early deployment. In this world, the traditional roles of gender and power are flipped, with the more dominant women on the front lines fighting looming terrorist threats that are familiar to our world—but with supernatural tactics and weapons.”
Motherland: Fort Salem cast:
- Ashley Nicole Williams
- Jessica Sutton
- Taylor Hickson
- Demetria McKinney
- Amalia Holm
Motherland: Fort Salem is executive produced by:
- Eliot Laurence
- Will Ferrell
- Adam McKay
- Kevin Messick
- Maria Maggenti
- Steven Adelson
Party of Five
- From Sony Pictures Television, Party of Five will follow the five Acosta children as they navigate daily life struggles to survive as a family unit after their parents are suddenly deported back to Mexico.
Party of Five cast:
- Brandon Larracuente
- Emily Tosta
- Niko Guardado
- Elle Paris Legaspi
Party of Five creative team:
- Series creators, executive producers, and writers:
- Chris Keyser
- Amy Lippman
- EP and director of the pilot:
- Rodrigo Garcia
- Co-executive producer and writer:
- Michal Zebede
Everything’s Gonna Be Okay
Everything’s Gonna Be Okay synopsis:
- “The series introduces Nicholas (Josh Thomas), a neurotic 25-year-old visiting his single dad and two teenage half-sisters, one of whom is on the autism spectrum. He hasn’t been particularly present in his siblings’ lives, but when their dad reveals that he is terminally ill, the girls have to cope with not only a devastating loss but also the realization that Nicholas is the one who will have to rise to the occasion, move in and hold it all together.”
Did you know?:
- Thomas created, stars, writes and will serve as showrunner of the comedy series, coming soon to Freeform.
- Along with Thomas, the cast includes:
- Kayla Cromer
- Maeve Press
- Adam Faison
Everything’s Gonna Be Okay creative team:
- Executive producers:
- Stephanie Swedlove
- Kevin Whyte
- David Martin
- Jon Thoday
- Richard Allen-Turner
The Bold Type
- Freeform has picked up a fourth season of the brand-defining series The Bold Type.
- The topical dramedy will continue to highlight the real-world issues faced by the employees of Scarlet Magazine.
- For the upcoming season, Amanda Lasher passes the showrunner baton to Wendy Straker Hauser, who has been with the series since its first season.
- Executive producers include:
- Matt McGuinness
- David Bernad
- Ruben Fleischer
- Joanna Coles
- The Bold Type is produced by Universal Television in association with Freeform and The District.
The Bold Type stars:
- Katie Stevens
- Aisha Dee
- Meghann Fahy
- Melora Hardin
- Sam Page
- Matt Ward
- Stephen Conrad Moore
What they’re saying:
- Aisha Dee, Meghann Fahy, and Katie Stevens: “On The Bold Type, we play characters who are determined to succeed in the New York fashion media business. We balance careers, friendship and love on the daily. But this show is so important to us and our fans because regardless of who you are, we are all just trying to navigate the mess of our lives. And we are so excited to be coming back for season 4! Here’s to more bold stories, friendship and a whole lot of rosé.”
- “Eat my shorts!” Freeform is welcoming the Simpson family to the network starting this September.
- Viewers will be able to enjoy episodes from all 30 seasons of the dysfunctional and hilarious adventures of Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, Maggie and the array of quirky supporting characters living in the misfit city of Springfield.
- Air dates will be announced at a later date.
Female-Focused Animation Block
- As previously announced, Freeform is committed to building a female-focused animation block with two projects in development:
- Betches is executive produced by:
- Emma Roberts (American Horror Story)
- Betches Media co-founders:
- Samantha Fishbein
- Jordana Abraham
- Aleen Kuperman
- Carli Haney
- Kesila Childers
- Gil Goldschein from Bunim-Murray Productions (Keeping Up With The Kardashians, The Real World).
- Rachel Koller (Lady Bits with Lauren Giraldo) will write the pilot.
- Woman World is executive produced by:
- Felicia Day (The Guild, Geek & Sundry)
- Woman World is written by:
- Aminder Dhaliwal (Pinky Malinky, Close Enough)
Expanded 31 Nights of Halloween
- Last year’s inaugural 31 Nights of Halloween delivered its most-watched October in three years.
- Freeform will be doubling down on their commitment to Halloween and will be making this year’s 31 Nights of Halloween programming stunt even bigger with the following programming additions.
- After last year’s highly successful Hocus Pocus 25th Anniversary Halloween Bash, Freeform will continue the party this year with a new original special, Halloween Extravaganza Bash (working title) a celebration of Halloween’s biggest pop culture moments.
- This year, the special will honor the icons of the season as we celebrate the most beloved movies, television shows and music artists who have become synonymous with Halloween.
- The network has also announced new movies joining the line-up:
- Ghostbusters (celebrating its 25th anniversary)
- Ghostbusters 2
- Scream trilogy
- Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas
- The Addams Family
Amuck, Amuck, Amuck:
- And not to be forgotten, Freeform will break its own record of the number of times one network can air Hocus Pocus, in a programming stunt with a record for 27 broadcasts of the cult classic!
- For the first time ever on cable, the beloved holiday classics Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman will air on Freeform during this year’s 25 Days of Christmas programming event.
- From the Rankin Bass classic holiday library, the two iconic films will join other titles including:
- Santa Claus Is Comin’ To Town
- The Little Drummer Boy
- And more for the merriest time of year
- In a holiday series showdown like no other, Wrap Battle will put the most gifted DIY-ers to the test.
- In the elimination gift-wrapping competition, contestants battle it out to deliver amazing results in different challenges in every episode, with each vying to win $50,000.
- Get your scissors and two-sided tape ready, let’s get wrapping!
- Wrap Battle is executive produced by:
- Michael Levitt (Hocus Pocus 25th Halloween Anniversary Bash).