Walt Disney Studios has found its Ariel in singer Halle Bailey. The young actress and R&B vocalist is about to dive under the sea as she takes on the lead role in the upcoming live-action adaptation of Disney’s The Little Mermaid.
- Disney has announced that singer and actress, Halle Bailey has been cast as Ariel in the upcoming live-action reimagining of The Little Mermaid.
- The film is directed by Rob Marshall and produced by:
- Rob Marshall
- John DeLuca
- Marc Platt
- Lin-Manuel Miranda
- The film will feature beloved songs from the animated classic by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman, as well as new songs by Menken (music) and Miranda (lyrics).
- Production is anticipated to begin in early 2020.
- Additional announcements regarding The Little Mermaid are expected in the coming weeks.
About Halle Bailey:
- Bailey is one part of the R&B duo Chloe X Halle along with her sister.
- Last year Chloe X Halle recorded their debut album featuring their song “Warrior” that was used in Disney’s Wrinkle in Time. The sisters also filmed a music video for the song:
- Her on screen credits include:
- Austin and Ally
- Let it Shine
- House of Payne
What they’re saying:
- Director Rob Marshall: “After an extensive search, it was abundantly clear that Halle possesses that rare combination of spirit, heart, youth, innocence, and substance — plus a glorious singing voice — all intrinsic qualities necessary to play this iconic role.”