In the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian, caretakers and animal programs specialists at Disney’s Animal Kingdom were more than happy to announce that their herd of elands grew by one.
- Cast Members across property worked diligently to prepare for the storm, including the Animals, Science and Environment Cast Members, who were busy taking care of the herd.
- The Disney Parks Blog reported that early this morning, an eland at Disney’s Animal Kingdom gave birth to a healthy calf named Doppler in honor of its post-storm arrival.
- Gender is not known as of yet.
- The photos in the gallery below were taken in the first few hours after the birth, and the calf has already taken its first steps.
- The calf was born as part of a species survival plan in partnership with the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA).
- Mom and baby are bonding well, and the team will conduct a neonatal exam in the coming days to get a gauge on the calf’s weight, height and gender.
- The pair will remain backstage for the next several weeks before venturing out onto the savanna with the rest of the herd at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
Laughing Place recommends MouseFanTravel.com for all your Walt Disney World travel planning