The Hollywood Reporter is writing that Hulu has cancelled plans to develop a Grisham Universe series of shows for the streamer.
- Late last year it was announced that Hulu and ABC Signature studios were teaming up to develop a series of shows for television based on John Grisham novels.
- The Grisham Universe of shows was set to include The Rainmaker and Rogue Lawyer with the potential to spin off into other series.
- Michael Seitzman and Jason Richman were on board to write and executive produce both potential series along with Grisham’s production company. The author would also executive produce.
- However, Hulu has announced those plans have been cancelled.
- According to THR, the original idea was for ABC Studios to present something “wholly new” turning Grisham’s two books into two series with a shared storyline.
- Some characters would cross over between shows, others would be tied to one, but audiences could view one series all the way through or toggle between shows.
- The project was still in development when news of the cancellation was announced.
- Interestingly this project’s cancellation comes after Hulu announced they’re planning to expand The Handmaid’s Tale.
- Partnering with MGM TV, Hulu will develop a separate series based on Margret Atwood’s upcoming novel —and follow up to Handmaid’s Tale— The Testaments.
- THR says, “showrunner Bruce Miller [is] exploring ways to make the sequel ‘an important extension’ to the Elisabeth Moss-led drama.”
- In August, Disney television officially took over the Hulu original scripted content team. Disney acquired the streamer earlier this year.
- Hulu shared a first look at their upcoming original series, Reprisal. The show will premiere it’s first episode during New York Comic-Con before making its series debut on December 6th.