The upcoming fourth episode of High School Musical: The Musical: The Series will feature a new original song written by actress Olivia Rodrigo. She wrote and recorded the song for her character Nini-Salazar-Roberts.
- Actress Olivia Rodrigo makes her songwriting debut with “All I Want,” a song showcased in the episode of High School Musical: The Musical: The Series premiering Friday, November 29 on Disney+.
- In the episode “Blocking,” 16-year old Rodrigo performs the piano ballad as her character, Nini Salazar-Roberts. She recorded the song live on set during filming.
- Walt Disney Records shared a preview of the song on their YouTube channel. Take a look:
- The song was produced by Matthew Tishler who previously worked with Rodrigo on songs for Disney Channel’s Bizaardvark.
- Among his credits are songs for Ashley Tisdale, Dove Cameron, JoJo Siwa, BTS and EXO.
What they’re saying:
- Series creator and executive producer Tim Federle: “Olivia wrote this emotional, in-depth song in just three days while filming the series and going to school. She has shown her strength not only as a composer and performer but also as a modern young woman who brilliantly channeled what the ‘Nini’ character is going through as she begins to take control of her own narrative.”
- Olivia Rodrigo: “Nini is a character that is written so truthfully and she is so relatable to me so writing a song that came from a place of truth wasn’t too hard. I just feel so grateful to Tim for trusting me to write a song for such an incredible show. I hope that people can find bits of themselves in the song and can relate to it.”
- An upcoming episode will feature a song Rodrigo co-wrote with her fellow cast member Joshua Bassett titled, “Just a Moment.”
- Songs from High School Musical: The Musical: The Series will be released with each weekly episode and the full soundtrack will be available January 10, 2020.