- Following a string of casting announcements last week, the Disney+ Doogie Howser reboot has added Disney veteren Jason Scott Lee to the team.
- Jason Scott Lee will play Benny Kameāloha, father of Lahela “Doogie” Kameāloha, played by Peyton Elizabeth Lee.
- Benny is a former finance executive who gave up his lucrative career to be closer to his family, running a local shave ice truck business.
- Jason Scott Lee made his Disney debut in the 1994 live-action adaptation of Rudyard Kipling’s Jungle Book.
- For Disney animation fans, he’s the voice of David in Disney’s Lilo & Stitch and its direct-to-video sequel.
- Most recently, Jason Scott Lee starred in the live-action retelling of Mulan as the fearsome Böri Khan.
- Other recent casting announcements include Kathleen Rose Perkins as Dr. Clara Hannon, Doogie’s mother, and Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman as Charles, a resident at the hospital.
Doogie Kameāloha, M.D. Description:
“Set in modern-day Hawaii, the 10-episode comedy follows Lahela “Doogie” Kameāloha, a mixed race 16-year-old girl, juggling a budding medical career and life as a teenager. Guiding Lahela (and also complicating things) is her family, including her spit-fire Irish mother who’s also her supervisor at the hospital, and her Hawaiian “Local Boy” father struggling to accept that his daughter is no longer his little girl.”