Star Wars fans will get a heaping helping of non-canonical animation from A Galaxy Far, Far Away this April, as Genndy Tartakovsky’s original Star Wars: Clone Wars animated series, the 1980s Ewoks cartoon, and the animated segment from the notorious Star Wars Holiday Special are making their way to the Disney+ streaming service at the beginning of the month. This is in addition to the two live-action Ewoks made-for-TV movies, which will also be arriving on Disney+ this April.
While these Lucasfilm-licensed cartoons have been fan-favorites for a variety of reasons since their respective releases, they are not considered part of the current Star Wars canon and had not yet been released on Disney+, though they have been issued on physical media in the past.
- Disney has officially announced that the 2003 animated series Star Wars: Clone Wars and the 1985 cartoon Ewoks will be making their way to the Disney+ streaming service on Friday, April 2.
- Star Wars: Clone Wars was created and released on Cartoon Network between Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones and Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith. The series was developed by renowned animator Genndy Tartakovsky of Samurai Jack, Dexter’s Laboratory, and Powerpuff Girls fame. It predated the second, CGI-animated Star Wars: The Clone Wars series by several years but is no longer considered part of the official Star Wars canon. According to a Disney press release, both volumes are headed to Disney+.
- Ewoks aired on the ABC network for two seasons between 1985 and 1986, coming on the heels of the characters’ introduction in 1983’s Return of the Jedi. According to Disney’s press release today, both seasons of the cartoon will be released on Disney+.
- There is no word on whether Droids, which served as the sister series to Ewoks in the mid-80s, will also be making its way to Disney+.
- “The Story of the Faithful Wookiee,” better known as the memorable animated segment from the 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special which introduced the character of Boba Fett and featured vocal performances from the main cast of the original Star Wars film, will also become available on Disney+ the same day.
Star Wars: Clone Wars, Ewoks, and “The Story of the Faithful Wookiee” will all be released on Disney+ Friday, April 2.