20th Century Studios has acquired Rosaline, a comedic and revisionist take on Romeo & Juliet, starring Kaitlyn Dever, according to Deadline.
- Rosaline was previously at MGM but recently became available and was quickly scooped up at 20th Century Studios.
- 20th Century has tapped Karen Maine to direct while Shawn Levy and Dan Cohen will be producing.
- The script for the film is based on the novel When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle, a twist on the classic tale of Romeo & Juliet.
- The novel follows the classic love story through the eyes of Juliet’s cousin Rosaline, a sharp but idealistic young woman—who happens to be Romeo’s recent ex. What begins as an attempt to foil the famous romance and win back her guy becomes a journey of self-discovery as she ultimately works to help get the star-crossed lovers back together.
- Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber wrote the script for the film.
- The is the second 20th Century project with Dever attached, as she was recently announced to be starring in the upcoming film No One Will Save You.
- Dever earned a Golden Globe nomination for her role in Unbelievable.
- She is also currently shooting the Hulu limited series Dopesick with Michael Keaton and will next be seen in Universal’s Dear Evan Hansen.