At last year’s Walt Disney Company Investor Day, it was confirmed that Disney+ developing a biopic about NBA superstar Chris Paul. Now, that project has reportedly found a writer.
- According to Deadline, writer Tori Sampson has been tapped to pen the upcoming Chris Paul biopic titled 61.
- As the site notes, Sampson is an up-and-coming writer whose recent credits include working on the Showtime series Three Women and Amazon’s Hunters and Solos.
- Sampson is also currently developing a drama produced by Anonymous Content and Drake.
- At this time, no director or stars are attached to the 61 project.
- Basketball fans will know that 61 is not Paul’s jersey number (that’s 3, hence the nickname CP3) but alludes to a high school basketball game where Paul scored 61 points in honor of his late grandfather Nathaniel Jones’ 61 years of life.
- Paul recalls this story and others in his memoir, Sixty-One: Life Lessons from Papa, On and Off the Court set for release next summer.
- Meanwhile, 61 isn’t the only NBA biopic in the works at Disney+ as Greek Freak about Giannis Antetokounmpo is also underway.
- Incidentally, Antetokounmpo’s Milwaukee Bucks recently topped Paul’s Phoenix Suns to win the 2021 NBA Championship.
More Disney+ news:
- Fans looking for Disney Parks content on Disney+ can now check out the Disney Park category on the platform.
- Yesterday, Disney+ and National Geographic shared the first trailer for the upcoming Will Smith docuseries Welcome to Earth.
- And, while you’re watching trailers, be sure to check out the new one for Muppets Haunted Mansion released last week.