Though originally on the big screen before it hit devices and televisions everywhere thanks to home releases and Disney+, Encanto is returning to the big screen for fans and new viewers everywhere.
- As the popularity of the Walt Disney Animation Studios’ film Encanto continues to grow, fans and new eyes alike can watch the hit film on the big screen as it is returning to theaters everywhere.
- The timing works well since the film is nominated for three Academy Awards, with noms for Best Animated Feature, Best Original Score, and Best Original Song – “Dos Oruguitas.”
- Originally released theatrically on November 24th, 2021, the film quickly made its way to subscribers of Disney+ on Christmas Eve 2021, where it is still available. A home release has also taken place, with the movie available on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-Ray, Digital, and DVD as of February 8th.
- Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Encanto tells the tale of an extraordinary family, the Madrigals, who live hidden in the mountains of Colombia, in a magical house, in a vibrant town, in a wondrous, charmed place called an Encanto. The magic of the Encanto has blessed every child in the family with a unique gift from super strength to the power to heal—every child except one, Mirabel (voice of Stephanie Beatriz). But when she discovers that the magic surrounding the Encanto is in danger, Mirabel decides that she, the only ordinary Madrigal, might just be her exceptional family’s last hope.
- The film is directed by Jared Bush (co-director Zootopia) and Byron Howard (Zootopia, Tangled), co-directed by Charise Castro Smith (writer The Death of Eva Sofia Valdez), and produced by Yvett Merino and Clark Spencer; the screenplay is by Castro Smith and Bush. Encanto features original songs by Emmy, GRAMMY and Tony Award winner Lin-Manuel Miranda (Hamilton, Moana); Germaine Franco (Dora and the Lost City of Gold) composed the original score.