ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex has never staged an event like it did this past weekend, when 77 top high school esports teams from across the United States competed in the 2022 Walt Disney World EGF (Electronic Gaming Federation) High School National Championships.
- These teenage competitors battled it out in three different games – Super Smash Bros, Rocket League and Overwatch. Each team of esports aficionados had to advance through a variety of competitions throughout the school year to qualify for the national championships.
- Afterward, the champions were transported to the virtual world of Wreck-It Ralph as they got a chance to meet and take photos with the most iconic characters in Disney’s video game world, Wreck-It Ralph and Vanellope von Schweetz.
- The winning teams will long be remembered as the champions of the first in-person EGF High School National Championships after the previous two championships were staged virtually due to the pandemic. Look for more cool sports events coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex as it continues to expand its portfolio of sports offerings for professionals, elite youths and recreational athletes.
More Walt Disney World News:
- Disney has revealed a new slate of Indiana Jones merchandise coming soon to Disney Parks and shopDisney.
- In the same spirit as Halfway to Halloween, the Disney Parks will soon be celebrating Halfway to the Holidays with some delicious holiday treats at Walt Disney World and Disneyland.
- A colorful painting by an Orlando area African American artist became the latest artwork added to the art murals at Disney Springs this week as Walt Disney World acknowledges Juneteenth and Black Music Month.