According to a report from the Wall Street Journal, Disney has reanimated Princess Tiana with her original skin tone for her appearance in the upcoming Ralph Breaks the Internet.
- Disney has recently faced criticism for lightening Princess Tiana’s skin tone and narrowing her nose.
- That criticism came not just from fans online, but also from Color of Change, an advocacy organization that focuses on issues of racial representation.
- Disney worked with Color of Change, as well as Anika Noni Rose, who voices Princess Tiana, when making their revisions for the new film.
- Princess Tiana became the first and only black Disney Princess with the release of The Princess and the Frog in 2009.
- Tiana, along with the rest of the Disney Princesses, will be featured in a small role in Ralph Breaks the Internet.
- Ralph Breaks the Internet will makes its way into theaters November 21.
- The Princess and the Frog has returned to AMC Theatres for a week starting today.
What they’re saying:
- Color of Change released a statement praising Disney’s decision to: “restore Princess Tiana’s image to that of an unapologetically black princess with full lips, dark skin and dark hair.”
ICYMI – More Ralph Breaks the Internet news:
- Disney released a new trailer, poster, cast and plot details for the highly-anticipated upcoming sequel.
- Grammy-winning band Imagine Dragons recorded an end credits song titled “Zero” for Ralph Breaks the internet.
- The Void has announced a new Ralph Breaks VR experience coming to both Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort.
- Disney gave us our first look at Wonder Woman star Gal Gadot’s character in Ralph Breaks the Internet.