Jeffrey Brown, the author and illustrator behind the adorable Darth Vader and Son, discussed the making of his new book, Rey and Pals, with StarWars.com.
- The new book will be told in the same style as his bestselling series Darth Vader and Son and Vader’s Little Princess.
- This book however, will feature Rey, Kylo Ren, Finn, Poe Dameron, Rose Tico, and other characters from the sequel trilogy.
- “The first step is to simplify, and boil the look of the character down to a few elements. Some of the costumes have a lot of detail, but if I draw too much detail in a costume, it doesn’t gel with the cartoony look of the characters’ faces — especially when I’m drawing Rey as a little kid.” Brown explained to StarWars.com, regarding his artistic process. “The other thing to focus on is body language and expressions. Rey is someone who dives right in, and can be very decisive and isn’t afraid to try and fail.”
- Brown also shared a sneak peek at some of his illustrations for the upcoming book:
- “The mirror sketch was one of my first handful ideas,” Brown told StarWars.com. “I was telling my older son to brush his teeth way back when I drew Vader’s Little Princess, and now I’m always telling my younger son. I think if you’re a kid it must seem like the scene on Ahch-to, you’re always having to brush your teeth over and over!”
- No release date has been announced as of yet for Rey and Pals.
ICYMI – More Star Wars news:
- Peter Mayhew, Ashley Eckstein and Joonas Suotamo headlined the last two groups of guests announced for Star Wars Celebration in Chicago.
- Disney Cruise Line will continue to take guests on themed adventures in 2020. They recently announced dates for next year’s Star Wars and Marvel Day at Sea cruises.
- In celebration of the 20th anniversary of the LEGO Star Wars line, LEGO has announced five new special edition Star Wars sets.