- Stone has reportedly signed on for a sequel to her recent Disney villain-focused prequel.
- The news comes after Black Widow star Scarlett Johansson filed a lawsuit against Disney for an alleged breach of her contract regarding the release of the film on Disney+ in addition to theaters.
- Cruella was also released on the streamer back in May, but still managed to haul in $222 million worldwide at the box office.
- No details about the film or the plans for its theatrical release are known at this time.
- Cruella was very well received, earning a 74% on Rotten Tomatoes and garnering some award buzz. You can check out Alex’s review of the film here.
What they’re saying:
- Patrick Whitesell, executive chairman of Stone’s agency, Endeavor: “While the media landscape has been disrupted in a meaningful way for all distributors, their creative partners cannot be left on the sidelines to carry a disproportionate amount of the downside without the potential for upside. This agreement demonstrates that there can be an equitable path forward that protects artists and aligns studios’ interests with talent. We are proud to work alongside Emma and Disney, and appreciate the studio’s willingness to recognize her contributions as a creative partner. We are hopeful that this will open the door for more members of the creative community to participate in the success of new platforms.”
- “Cruella, which is set in 1970s London amidst the punk rock revolution, follows a young grifter named Estella (Emma Stone), a clever and creative girl determined to make a name for herself with her designs. She befriends a pair of young thieves who appreciate her appetite for mischief, and together they are able to build a life for themselves on the London streets. One day, Estella’s flair for fashion catches the eye of the Baroness von Hellman, a fashion legend who is devastatingly chic and terrifyingly haute, played by two-time Emma Thompson. But their relationship sets in motion a course of events and revelations that will cause Estella to embrace her wicked side and become the raucous, fashionable and revenge-bent Cruella.”