Disney has shared details on Disney Genie, which will be coming to the Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort bringing with it additional levels of service with Disney Genie+ and individual Lighting Lane entries all through the My Disney Experience app and Disneyland Resort app launching this fall.
- During the quarter 3 investor call, Disney CEO Bob Chapek stated that more information would be coming soon about the highly anticipated Disney Genie.
- Today, more information was revealed on how the service will work while also announcing the sunsetting of FASTPASS, FastPass+, and Disney MaxPass.
- Disney Genie will be part of the My Disney Experience and Disneyland Resort apps, allowing Guests to get all the benefits without having to download something new and launches this fall.
- The complementary feature will help Disney Parks Guests plan their day by providing personalized itineraries, projected future wait times, and more.
- Additionally, both domestic Disney Parks resorts will also be introducing two new paid options: Disney Genie+ and Individual Attraction Selections.
- These new paid options will take the place of the current FASTPASS, FastPass+, and Disney MaxPass features, which will be discontinued.
- However, all attractions will continue to offer either virtual queue or traditional standby queues.
- Those booking reservations via Disney Genie+ or purchasing individual attraction access will enter through a new line called the “Lightning Lane.”
- The Disney Genie+ service will cost $15 per person per day at Walt Disney World and $20 per person per day at the Disneyland Resort, which was the same price for Disney MaxPass.
- Pricing for individual Lightning Lane entries has yet to be announced, but will vary depending on park, attraction, date, and more.
- Notably, the attractions featured for individual Lightning Lane entries will not be included with Disney Genie+.
- At this time, there will be no discounts for Disney Genie+ nor individual Lighting Lane entries.
- All three of these new offerings will launch this fall, although no exact date has been announced.
- In addition to Disney Genie and its services, Guests who use the Disability Access Service (DAS) program will have new options to enroll in the program pre-arrival and for DAS participants to select attractions directly in the app. These will be in addition to the existing, in-person DAS program.
What is Disney Genie?
- Disney Genie will help Guests plan their Disney day by providing personalized itineraries based on what they list as favorite franchises (Star Wars, Pixar, Disney Princesses) and favorite attractions (Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise).
- With the information stored, Disney Genie will give Guests an itinerary based on forecasted future wait times for experiences. This means, if it expects Big Thunder Mountain Railroad to have a lower wait time than Space Mountain on your planned park day at the given time, it will have you go there first to take advantage of the lower wait.
- The itinerary will also be flexible, so if rain is coming or you want to relax back at the resort, it will make adjustments as needed based on forecasted information.
- Disney Genie will also show a personalized tip board, giving you direct access to see wait times for attractions, or mobile order windows for your favorite locations in one glance. This tip board will show both current and forecasted future wait times.
- Guests will also be able to communicate with a Disney Cast Member through the app to help answer questions.
- The Disney Genie service itself is complimentary to all Guests.
What is Disney Genie+?
- Disney Genie+ is a service that can be added for an additional fee that has similar offerings to what Disneyland Resort Guests have previously used with Disney MaxPass.
- Disney Genie+ allows Guests to book a Lightning Lane reservation for one attraction at a time, allowing them to use the Lightning Lane to have little to no wait. Once you are done experiencing the attraction, you’ll be able to make your next reservation.
- There are also special perks, including behind-the-scenes audio tracks to learn more about attractions and the parks as you visit.
- Disney Genie+ will be available to pre-purchase with a theme park ticket, or on the day you’re visiting.
- You’ll be able to check Disney Genie+ prior to purchase to see which attractions are included/have availability.
- There are no discounts that will be available at launch for Disney Genie+.
Disney Genie+ Disneyland Details:
- More than 15 attractions available for $20 per person per day.
- The first reservation can be made at park opening.
- Disney PhotoPass complimentary for the day.
Disney Genie+ Walt Disney World Details:
- More than 40 attractions available for $15 per person per day.
- The first reservation using Disney Genie+ can be made at 7:00 am ET.
- Disney PhotoPass AR Lenses available, remember that announcement Disney made with Snapchat? Here is how you can use the lenses that were previously revealed.
What are Individual Lighting Lane Entries?
- Individual Lighting Lane entries is the new service that will give Guests the ability to make up to two reservations for highly demanded attractions per day.
- The attractions available on this service will differ from those available through Disney Genie+.
- Attractions offered via this service will include Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at Magic Kingdom Park, Radiator Springs Racers at Disney California Adventure, and others.
- A list of attractions for the service will be shared at a later date, letting you plan if it’s better to go for Disney Genie+, or get individual Lightning Lane entries for popular attractions you rather experience.
- Individual Lighting Lane entries can be used across multiple parks for those who want to Park Hop.
- There are no discounts that will be available at launch for individual Lighting Lane entries.
- Pricing for individual Lighting Lane entries will vary by date, attraction, and park and will be announced closer to launch.
Individual Lighting Lane Entries at Walt Disney World:
- Reservations can begin at park open, but Walt Disney World Resort Hotel Guests can start booking Lighting Lane starting at 7:00 am ET.
Individual Lighting Lane Entries at Disneyland:
- Reservations can be made once the park is open for the day.
The History of Disney Genie
- Disney Genie was originally announced in 2019 at the D23 Expo by Chapek, saying that it will make planning easier and more fun by providing customized itineraries geared to your interests, right at your fingertips – from a royal, princess-themed day at Magic Kingdom Park to a trip around the world at EPCOT for foodies and even a perfect day for thrill seekers.
- During a presentation back in April, Josh D’Amaro, chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products, didn’t specify a date when Disney Genie would be available, aside from mentioning it and saying that it will be “Coming Soon” to Walt Disney World.
What They’re Saying:
- Josh D’Amaro, Chairman, Disney Parks, Experiences and Products: “Disney Genie listens to the preferences that guests share with us to help design their best day and deliver an experience that’s made just for them. Pairing incredible technology with more than 60 years of expertise about how our guests visit the parks, Disney Genie will personalize their Disney day, allowing guests to spend less time planning and waiting and more time doing the things they love.”
So how do you feel about Disney Genie and all the add-on services coming to both Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resort? Will you be trying them out? Let us know!