- The news was announced by the show’s star, Wendi McLendon-Covey, apparently has nothing to do with the previously announced departure of fellow original star Jeff Garlin.
- Garlin, who has played father of the family Murray Goldberg on the show since its start, was fired in December following multiple HR complaints and subsequent investigations.
- It remains unclear how the comedy, inspired by the childhood of its creator, Adam F. Goldberg, will write out Murray. The additional episodes were not added to address Garlin’s departure.
- The additional episodes were added to help ABC fill out its schedule along with additional episodes of The Wonder Years and Home Economics. Both those shows will also feature 22-episode seasons.
- A decision on the future of The Goldbergs beyond its current season has not yet been determined. Sources to The Hollywood Reporter noted that Garlin was not expected to return for a potential 10th season of The Goldbergs should ABC opt to renew the show for the 2022-23 broadcast cycle.
More ABC News:
- ABC has ordered a historic 19th season of their iconic and longest-running primetime medical drama, Grey’s Anatomy, which stars Ellen Pompeo.
- Shark Tank recently returned for its first episode of 2022. To mark the occasion, the Tank welcomed actor, comedian, and investor Kevin Hart as guest Shark. Will the star be able to snag a deal or will he come up short?
- Due to the surge of the Omicron variant sweeping the world, ABC has decided to pause production on a handful of TV dramas for the safety of the cast and crew.