The Special Olympics USA Games are set for this summer in Central Florida, and it was announced today that Disney Live Entertainment will be producing the opening ceremony for the games.
- According to WFTV 9, about 60 delegates from nearly every state and 11 Caribbean nations were at ESPN Wide World of Sports today for the special announcement.
- More than 5,000 athletes are expected to compete in 19 different sports this summer, making it the biggest Special Olympics USA games ever.
- The production team at Walt Disney World has been working on the Special Olympics USA Games Opening Ceremonies for about a year.
- A video with more information from the announcement is available on WFTV 9’s website.
What They’re Saying:
- Jason Robinson of Disney Live Entertainment said: “We’re just excited that the games are around the corner and we’ll actually get a chance to celebrate the athletes.”
More Walt Disney World News:
- Yesterday, Walt Disney Imagineering Creative Portfolio Executive Zach Riddley shared that the installation of the Nova Corps Starblaster has begun at the entrance to Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind. We were at EPCOT today to check out the ship in person!
- Guests arriving at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in Disney’s Hollywood Studios from the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser will disembark through a new themed portal, and progress on the portal is now visible from within the land.
- Fans have embraced the new Genie+ Service at Walt Disney World, and now some popular character sighting locations are set to be added to the service, starting on January 26th.