- ABC has picked up American Idol for a fourth season on Disney’s primetime network and the show’s 19th season since it began in 2002.
- Deadline reports that it’s not yet known if the same judges and host will return, speculating that Katy Perry could take a break as she is due to give birth to her first child this summer.
- The 18th season of American Idol is currently airing on Sundays on ABC with a truncated season finale this Sunday, May 17th, at 8:00 pm ET where the top 5 will be whittled down to one winner through a live vote.
- The season finale will include a special performance by Cynthia Erivo, who plays Aretha Franklin in the upcoming National Geographic series, Genius: Aretha.
More American Idol Stories:
- See All of the Disney Night on “American Idol” Performances Here
- “American Idol” To Resume Live Shows April 26th Remotely from Judges and Contestants Homes
- ABC Adjusts Schedule for “American Idol” While Exploring Options for Future Live Shows
- ABC Sends “American Idol” Contestants Home, Pauses Production Amid COVID-19 Outbreak