Social media was ablaze today with reports of smoke coming from Space Mountain at the Magic Kingdom. The Orlando Sentinel confirmed that the smoke came from a break room refrigerator and quickly prompted an evacuation of Space Mountain.
- Following reported smoke in said break room, Space Mountain was closed and performed normal evacuation procedures.
- As the Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover runs through Space Mountain, it was also temporarily closed.
- As of 4:45 PM EST, Space Mountain reopened to guests, while the PeopleMover reopened as of 6:00 PM EST.
- Tim Stromsnes, communications director for the Reedy Creek Professional Firefighters, said one engine responded to the ride. A firefighter unplugged the fridge, and the fire department’s other units called to respond were canceled, he said.
- Reedy Creek spokeswoman Eryka Washington confirmed firefighters were called to Space Mountain but said there was no fire.
- A similar situation recently occurred at the Magic Kingdom, which involved fire trucks driving up Main Street U.S.A. towards Cinderella Castle.
More Walt Disney World News:
- The official Walt Disney Imagineering Instagram account has showcased a small preview of the new Little Golden Book featuring the Walt Disney World original character, Orange Bird.
- Work continues on Splash Mountain at the Magic Kingdom, where their annual refurbishment this year is seeing the classic water adventure drained, repainted, and other work being performed.
- EPCOT is the latest park at Walt Disney World to see the return of character meet & greets, albeit in a modified fashion to allow for physical distancing.