This year San Diego Comic-Com once again came to fans with a virtual “@Home” version of the quintessential convention. Among the Walt Disney Company offerings for 2021 were panels for Marvel, Star Wars, and Disney television. But one of the most anticipated elements of the event was the Her Universe Fashion Show.
The theme of this year’s Fashion Show was Community which mirrors Her Universe’s goal to create a place where everyone is supported, celebrated and welcomed. 25 incredible designers created amazing Geek Couture looks inspired by their favorite elements of pop culture across a wide range of fandoms.
Watch The Her Universe Fashion Show | [email protected] 2021:
The show opened with an introduction from Ashley Eckstein who commented on how disappointing it was to have to cancel the 2020 show. She shares that she wondered if anyone would miss the fashion show and that while these thoughts crossed her mind, the Her Universe family of designers had already come together to create a beautiful community quilt. Adding to the uniqueness was an embroidered Ahsoka Tano quote, “You don’t have to carry a sword to be powerful.” This reminded Ashley that there is true power in being part of a community.
As always, Ashley debuted a signature outfit designed for her with this year’s look coming from Her Universe Fashion Show alum, Andrew MacLaine. He designed a fantastic pantsuit inspired by Ahsoka Tano’s appearance in Star Wars: Rebels.
For the 2021 fashion show, 25 finalists were selected to compete for the grand prize, a chance to design a Jurassic World collection for Hot Topic that will debut in 2022. The collection will be a collaboration between the Judges Winner and the Audience Winner. – Judging the competition were fashion lovers Ed Labay VP, GMM, Hot Topic, Adria Renee, and Sarah Hambly. Labay serves as the VP, GMM, Hot Topic, while Renee and Hambly were 2019 Her Universe Fashion Show Winners in the Judges and Audience Categories, respectively.
Her Universe took a clever approach to the virtual fashion show by breaking it up into five sections. Each group of designers featured started with a video from the designer talking about the inspiration behind their look and what the Her Universe community means to them. Then a video featured each look being modeled so the audience could get a full feel of the outfit. Finally, the judges commented on the creation, construction, and skills used to bring these looks to the runway.
Her Universe Fashion Show Designs
- Lisa Truong – @supreme_leader_honeypot The Spark – Disney Pixar’s Soul
- Kelsey Michele – @toughtink Like Starlight – Howl’s Moving Castle
- Cian Ramirez – @hyliancream Rainbow Connection – The Muppet Movie
- Raine Emery – @raineemery Lady Mystère – Miraculous Ladybug
- Regan Cerato – @cowbuttcrunchies To The Bus! – The Magic School Bus
- Marissa Soto – @Obcessed_Design Stay Toasty – Ghostbusters
- Veronica Blumberg – @kyber_cosplay Ground Zero – Boku No Hero Academia
- Jennifer Clark – @jclarkcostumes The Stylish Nomad – Avatar: The Last Airbender
- Teighlor Johnson – @teighlormadeco To Unite All Fashions Within Our Nation – Pokémon
- Hailey Jensen – @haileyjensenart Lore Couture – Lore Olympus
- Mckenna Fellows – @callmesnips Portals – The World Between Worlds – Star Wars: Rebels
- Skyler Barrett – @SkyGetsFancy Chess Can Be Beautiful – The Queen’s Gambit
- Colin Cook @adonis.customs Taka’s Pride – The Lion King
- Jill N. Nofziger – @jilln.n Agatha All Along – Marvel Studios’ WandaVision
- Emily Blake – @The_Color_Witch The Fantabulous Fashion of One Harley Quinn – Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn
- Vivien Lee – @freshfrippery This is the Way – Star Wars: The Mandalorian
- Katarina Whitmarsh-Monroe – @theladykatarina Vader In Vogue – Star Wars
- Breanne Cremean – @thegeekstress Painting Class – The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross
- Eli Ebberts – @eliebberts The Confessions Dress and Blue Tint Dressing Gown – Twilight
- Kathryn Henzler – @fullmetal_flamingo Clan Fraser Couture – Outlander
- Lynleigh Sato – @lynleighlove Lady Whistledown Reveals the Runway – Bridgerton
- Sarah Timm – @breathcue Wait For It – Hamilton
After all the groups were featured, the judges made their decision and Ashley announced the winner. This year resulted in tie as judges were blown away by not just one design, but two! The winners for 2021 were Teighlor’s Pokémon look and Skyler’s Queen’s Gambit design.
Now it’s up to the fans to vote for the Audience Winner. Voting is open now through 11:59pm PT on July 25th. The Audience Winner will be announced on July 28th on Her Universe social channels.
More [email protected]:
Stay up to date on what’s happening with our recaps of the Walt Disney Company panels: