ABC’s wacky game show revival The Gong Show is set to return for a second season starting June 21st.
- “British comedic legend” Tommy Maitland (AKA Mike Myers) will once again host the series.
- Actor Will Arnett is also confirmed to be one of the show’s celebrity judges while also serving as executive producer.
- A rotating panel of celebrity guests will fill out the rest of the panel in each episode as they “praise, critique, and gong contestants.”
- The Gong Show features a series of unusually talented and unique performers, all trying to avoid being kicked off the stage.
- The winning act with the highest judges’ score will receive The Gong Show trophy and a check.
- ABC says “This season promises to bring in even more big-name judges and a new gaggle of contestants who are unafraid to showcase their awesome yet quirky routines.”
- While the original incarnation first aired in 1976, the latest version of The Gong Show debuted on ABC in 2017.
- In his review of the last season’s premiere, Marshal called the show “weird” — ABC later used the quote in promos for the show.
In related news:
- ABC recently announced that their Sunday Fun & Games block — featuring Celebrity Family Feud, The $100,000 Dollar Pyramid, and To Tell the Truth — would return June 10th.
- Elsewhere on ABC’s unscripted slate, Dancing with the Stars: Athletes is set to premiere April 30th and feature contestants Adam Rippon, Johnny Damon, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Tonya Harding, and more.
- Tonight marks the series premiere of ABC’s Scandal with other series and season finales announced through May.
- While this season may be ending, ABC is already looking forward to next fall, announcing they’ve ordered a spinoff of their hit comedy The Goldbergs to series.
- Reality shows AFV, Dancing with the Stars, The Bachelor, and Child Support were also all recently-renewed by the network.